Posted on Sunday 15th of March 2020
Following the address of the President of Ghana on the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the confirmation by the Ministry of Health of two cases imported into the country yesterday, March 12, 2020, Management of the African University College of Communications (AUCC) wishes to alert all staff and students to take precautionary measures to protect themselves and others.
The following practical measures could be helpful.
- Do not Panic: While it is good to be alert to the Coronavirus and to take reasonable measures, our response should be a circumspect approach founded on facts and not on fear.
- Promote Good Hygiene: Medical experts advise that it is essential to wash your hands frequently with soap under running water or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Office and Classroom Hygiene: Faculty, Staff, and Students are admonished to keep frequently touched surfaces in our offices and classroom clean.
- Handshake: Medical experts discourage shaking hands as this could continue the spread of the disease. We advise that we exercise sound discretion in this regard to avoid being perceived as rude.
- Provision of Recommended Hand Sanitizers: Management of AUCC has taken steps to provide dispensers containing the recommended hand sanitizers at vantage places for use by members of the University Community.
- Access Control: Given the high possibility of contracting the virus through touching surfaces by hands and bringing them into contact with our eyes, nose, and mouth, the Management of AUCC has decided to suspend the use of the access control device until further notice. In the meantime, faculty will be tasked with the responsibility to ensure that students who attend lectures have duly met the fees requirement.